Step by step guide to making a TwentyTen child theme
Step 1: Create the child
Open your text editor, make a new file, and paste the following into it:
/* Theme Name: Child theme of Twenty Ten Theme URI: http://www.yourdomainname.com/ Description: Child Theme for Demo Purposes or whatever you want as a description Author: &lt;em&gt;[insert your name]&lt;/em&gt; Author URI: &lt;em&gt;[insert your url]&lt;/em&gt; Template: twentyten Version: 0.1 */ @import url(&quot;../twentyten/style.css&quot;);
- The name of the stylesheet —style.css— is important. The child theme will not be recognized by WordPress unless a file with this exact name is in the directory.
- The part between /* and */, the comments, is how WordPress identifies the theme.
- The Template line is important, since it declares the parent theme. The parent must be declared by the name of its directory exactly as you see it.
- The @import rule must precede all other rules.
- Save your file as style.css in a new folder (i.e. example child).
- Upload your child folder on the server.
- You should now see the child theme in your admin under Appearances > Themes
- Activate your child theme
Since we haven’t added any styles, your site should look the same as when the Twenty Ten theme was applied.