Lesson 2: WordPress Templates, Themes & Child Themes
The goal of this class is to look at our options when working with WordPress and comparing child themes, commercial themes and custom built. Students will be required to build a child theme.
- WordPress Developer theming options
- Overview of WordPress templates
- In Depth look at TwentyTwelve
- Child Theme tutorial
- Anatomy of a WordPress theme
- Codex: Child Themes
- Introducing Thirty Ten
- 12 TwentyTen child themes
- Build your own Wicked WordPress Themes
Child theming is a skill that is good to know, but most web developers spend more time custom theming thus only one lesson is devoted to this. Depending on the needs of your class you may wish allocated more time to child and commercial themes. You may also choose a different parent theme. I’ve used both TwentyTen and Responsive during this class.